Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

10,457 Pages

Last night I finished my 25th book this year, crossing off another Life List item.  I am thinking I have one, maybe two, more in me for the year.  Immediately picked up Book Three from the Song of Ice and Fire series after finishing Book Two last night.  These are not exactly quick reads, with 1,000+ pages in each book and a lot of characters to keep up with.

My favorite books this year:
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese - This book really stuck with me on so many levels.  The compelling story and characters, the medical slant, just the whole thing blew me away.
A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan - I actually read this twice, back to back, just to see how the benefit of hindsight changed the experience of the book.
The Wild Trees by Richard Preston - Need to climb a tree or at least visit the redwoods (new life list item!)
Stones into Schools by Greg Mortensen - Was really saddened by the 20/20 'expose' on Greg Mortensen earlier this year.  He remains an inspiration to me despite any doubts cast by the show and ensuing articles.
Bonk by Mary Roach - Stiff was amazing, Bonk just as much - just love this woman's writing style, subject matter, candor.

Emily's bookshelf: read

A Clash of Kings
Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex
A Visit from the Goon Squad
The Blind Assassin
I Totally Meant to Do That
A Game of Thrones
Little Bee
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
The Girl Who Played with Fire
Never Let Me Go
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
White Teeth
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
The Amber Spyglass
Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan
Water for Elephants
The Subtle Knife
The Golden Compass
Angela's Ashes
Cutting for Stone


Emily Peterson's favorite books »
}

No comments: